As you have probably understand, the whole concept of Andropause is quite fresh, and there are still some professionals and experts, who do not buy it at all. With all that, the scientific medical community is steadily moving towards defining its causes, symptoms, and ways of dealing. One of the most widely-accepted self tests, assisting in screening for symptoms of low testosterone or testosterone deficiency is considered ADAM (Androgen Deficiency in Aging Men), the test, originally published by Dr. John E. Morley in September 2000 in article “Validation of a screening questionnaire for androgen deficiency in aging males”, published in peer-reviewed Journal Metabolism - Clinical and Experimental.
Using this very simple and very fast test, typical symptoms of testosterone deficiency in 40+ years-old men can be identified for preliminary self-evaluation even without undergoing a chemical analysis of your blood or saliva. Low testosterone levels are often related to a variety of physical symptoms, while diminished sexual drive and the observed erectile dysfunction are typical signs of the Andropause.
As all self-evaluation tests, ADAM results should not be considered as diagnostic test and cannot be deemed as the decisive matter for your clinical assessment. It should be just the preliminary assessment for the necessary follow-up medical checkup. If you have reason to believe you are suffering from testosterone deficiency, it is thereby strongly suggested to undergo a test or evaluation at a doctor to exclude health risks as a reason.
The test contains 10 questions and takes about 1 minute to complete.
ADAM Test Questions
1. Do you have a decrease in libido (sex drive)?
2. Do you have a lack of energy?
3. Do you have a decrease in strength and/or endurance?
4. Have you lost height?
5. Have you noticed a decreased "enjoyment of life"?
6. Are you sad and/or grumpy?
7. Are your erections less strong?
8. Have you noticed a recent deterioration in your ability to play sports?
9. Are you falling asleep after dinner?
10. Has there been a recent deterioration in your work performance?
ADAM Test Answers and Decoding
ADAM text answers choice is very simple: YES or NO. Answer honestly all questions above, and record all the questions’ numbers where your answer is YES.
It is recommended to consult your primary physician if:
- If you answered YES to questions 1 or 7, or
- If you answered YES to any 3 questions, other than 1 or 7.
Sources and Additional Information: